Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Operation Freefall

I'm heading off topic for this post to let you know about Operation Freefall, a sky diving event held at the end of April to raise money and increase awareness of sexual violence. I'm plugging this event because my friend Laurie is taking part this year. Here is her request for support: 

I am sending you this email because (as some of you may know) I was the victim of a break in and rape in October 1999. The four-hour ordeal was the beginning of a long journey.  I now know firsthand how difficult the healing process can be and understand how important it is to offer support and resources to survivors of sexual violence. One of my personal goals is to work towards changing how society views victims of sexual assault and to lessen the stigma associated with rape survivors. 

Please help me raise awareness by sponsoring me in Operation Freefall. Thank you to those who have already shown support by donating or passing this message along. I can’t express my gratitude!
I’m raising money for Speaking Out About Rape, Inc.® (SOAR®) - please make a donation by visiting my Firstgiving page: http://www.firstgiving.com/laurieamurphy

You can donate online with a credit card. All donations are secure and sent directly to Speaking Out About Rape, Inc.® (SOAR®) by Firstgiving, who will email you a printable record of your donation.

P.S. I'm deathly afraid of heights!!! I appreciate all of your positive thoughts on 4.24.10.  :)

I can tell you firsthand that Laurie is indeed afraid of heights! We went zip lining in Costa Rica last year....and I'm not sure Laurie realized what she was getting herself in to. Her she is perched on the platform for the tarzan swing. The rest of our group was on the other side patiently coaxing Laurie to jump.


Here's a great picture of her FINALLY taking the leap. Look at that face! Her courage and determination is evident in everything she does and I know she'll tackle this skydiving adventure head on as she has every obstacle in the past.


In the past nine years, Operation Freefall has raised over $1,000,000 with nearly two-thirds of that going back to local communities. These funds are used to:
  • Increase local support and outreach services for survivors of sexual violence.
  • Provide recovery, risk-reduction, and prosecution information to tens of millions of people, including many in your local community, each year.
  • Enhance SOAR’s programs to help victims of sexual violence throughout the healing process.
  • Educate lawmakers, police officers, students, the public, and the media about sexual violence.
Please donate to Laurie's cause by visiting her Firstgiving page. She has only a few weeks to catch up to $5000!

Good luck Murph!

    1 comment:

    1. Laurie is, indeed, a brave, courageous soul. Thank you for helping spread the word about SOAR. - Laurie's Mom, Linda

      ReplyDelete