Friday, September 25, 2009

The September Issue


The book and the movie “The Devil Wears Prada” will forever be etched in our collective consciousness when we think of Anna Wintour and the culture of Vogue.  When reading/watching them, in the back of my mind I couldn’t help but think, “…this is crap.”   If I were Andrea Sachs, I would have shut my mouth, opened my mind and worked my ass off in order to finish the year out, as I consider myself one of those million girls who would have killed for that job. “The September Issue” justifies all of my musings.  Early in the documentary it is explained that not everyone is cut out for working at Vogue and many people have to leave because of it; simple as that.  While it is never explicitly said, it is inferred that Vogue and its creators do not care if you are not cut out for the work, if you don’t have it they are not going to waste time trying to spoon feed it to you. Working for Anna Wintour is not roses and sunshine. I mean, come on, never has a mousy, little face ever been so scary. Her gaze and seemingly expressionless countenance elicits the most painfully awkward (and slightly hilarious) responses, from her fashionistas-in-training to the likes of designer power houses like Jean Paul Gaultier. But if the movie demonstrates anything it shows her steadfast work ethic, her loyalty and her desire to showcase new, fresh talent.  From recommending Thakoon to create a new spin on the white shirt for GAP, to the small reference to Plum Sykes, a Vogue writer who has become a chick lit powerhouse with the help of Wintour, she is not stingy with using her power for good. Keep reading here.....


No comments:

Post a Comment